Week 13: Physical distancing
- Still in lockdown. I left the house 4 times this week, three times to go for a jog and once for a stroll around the block to see the sunshine.
- We’re slowly running out of snacks, treats, toothpaste and toilet paper. I’m going to have to go and find an actual supermarket this week.
- I tried making soups for us for lunch this week. I never really made soup before but given we have most of the ingredients already in the house I thought I’d give it a go. It also encourages me to take a proper lunch break while I cook it, which is also a really good thing. Last week we had two different tomato and lentil based soups and one leak based soup. All three came out pretty tasty and managed to feed me for 6 lunches.
- On Saturday our friendship group threw a remote party. 10 people performed a mixture of DJing and live performances for an hour each. They were all streamed over Twitch with varying degrees of production value, from full green screen audio visual experiences, through to laptop cameras.
- I built a small website to go along with the day which embedded the current live stream, mostly to aid discoverability, but it also gave the whole event a sense of identity and brand. It was also a nice distraction for a couple of evenings while I put it together, it’s really nice to get back to basics and do the thing you’re good at for yourself.
- We then all joined a couple of Zoom meetings (I know, I’ve read the security concerns also) and danced around in our living rooms and hung out in the virtual smoking area. It made the comment I also saw at the weekend about how we should stop using the phrase “social distancing”, and instead use the phrase “physical distancing” really resonate.
- Last week we watched Self Made, which was inspired by America’s first self made female millionaire, which I enjoyed as a short series. Due to it only being 4 episodes though I feel like they rushed the story a little too much, every 5 seconds another 5 years seemed to have passed. It made proper character development missing as every had changed and the relationships between them kept on being entirely different.