Week 36: Tourist
Some good things from this week:
- I got to meet my entire company IRL this week (there are only 7 of us). Given I joined the company in lockdown I’d not actually met some of them other than on Zoom. Being entirely virtual has been working okay for the most part, and we’re all in agreement that we don’t want to be back in an office right now. But given we’d never actually all been in the same place at the same time we arranged to meet up for lunch, sitting outside in the Olympic Park.
- Other than some slight misjudgments on peoples heights, every was just as they appear on Zoom. I still miss not having an office to go into every day, but it’s nice to have actually met everyone now.
- It’s impossible with current distancing measures to take group photos that don’t look like boyband shots from the late 90s. Everyone awkwardly spaced out, sitting and standing at different heights, together, but artistically apart. I’m here for the aesthetic though, much better than everyone having to have a big hug to get everyone in.
- I used the excuse of cycling to Stratford to cycle over Tower Bridge. I still enjoy getting to put tourist destinations into my regular activities. The knowledge that people travel around the world to see things that are just part of my day to day brings me surprising satisfaction. Yeah, I live here, this is my city.
- We cycled to Richmond Park this weekend to see friends we’ve not seen since The Before™. I forget how much I like Richmond Park. Having that on my doorstep for 3 years and cycling through it daily was a real privilege. It’s nice to be able to come back and be the tourist. I do wish the other tourists would stop chasing the deer though. You don’t need a close up photo of them!